Respiratory Therapists are members
of the health care team that provides respiratory care
for patients with heart and lung disorders. Respiratory
Therapists perform diagnostic and therapeutic procedures
with patients of all ages and are qualified to perform intensive
care, critical care, neonatal and emergency room
MECC’s Respiratory Therapy graduates are prepared
for the National Board for Respiratory Care
- Entry-Level Respiratory Therapist (CRT)
- Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT)
MECC’s Respiratory Therapy program is accredited
by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory
Employers want Respiratory Therapists who:
- Are skilled and knowledgeable in classroom theory
and clinical procedures of respiratory therapy.
- Have excellent communication skills.
- Have excellent interpersonal and team skills.
- Have excellent problem-solving and critical-thinking
- Have manual dexterity.
- Can give and receive constructive criticism.
In 2008, national average annual earnings were $53,150 and Virginia had an average annual earnings of $53,290.
The need for respiratory therapy professionals is expected
to grow in the coming years due to:
- The large increase in the elderly population.
- The impact of environmental problems that have already contributed to the yearly rise in the number
of reported asthma cases.
- Technological advances in the treatment of heart
attack, cancer, and accident victims, as well as
Employment opportunities exist in home care, rehabilitation
agencies, nursing homes, emergency transport teams,
sleep centers, pulmonary function laboratories, outpatient
clinics and physician offices.
Respiratory Therapists may advance into departmental supervision and hospital
||Samuel “Luke” Mullins graduated from MECC’s Respiratory
Therapy program in December, 2006. He is currently employed
as a Registered Respiratory Therapist, RRT, at Norton Community
Hospital and is continuing his education at ETSU to
receive his bachelor’s degree in Respiratory Therapy.
You will find other MECC graduates at:
Carilion New River Valley Hospital,
Carilion Roanoke Memorial Medical Center,
Lee County Community Hospital,
MSHA Indian Path Hospital,
MSHA Johnson City Medical Center,
Mountain View Regional Medical Center,
University of Tennessee Medical Center,
Vanderbilt University Hospital,
Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center,
Wellmont Lonesome Pine Hospital,
Wellmont Bristol Regional Medical Center,
Wellmont Holston Valley Hospital & Medical Center