Mountain Empire Community College will offer a free Quick Start to College class designed for individuals who have considered college, but have hesitated to enroll. Covering just six weeks, the course allows students the opportunity to obtain three college credits without having to enroll for a full semester at no cost.
The first two weeks of the course will include an orientation to the basics of college life. Students will be able to learn how to find offices and classes on campus, apply for financial aid, use Blackboard, and MECC email. Career counseling sessions will also be included so that students can learn more about MECC program offerings that best fit their interests.
The next two weeks will cover computer basics including using Word and saving documents to flashdrives. The final three weeks of the course will focus on math and English. Students will be able to freshen up on important basics that will help them take or retake the math and English placement tests.
The Quick Start program will be offered in two sessions this spring:
- Tuesday and Thursday (2:00 – 3:30 p.m.) March 17 - April 23
- Thursday (5:30 – 8:45 p.m.) May 14 – June 18
To qualify, students must have a high school diploma or equivalent (GED).
For more information or to enroll, contact:
Beth Boggs, MECC Career and Transfer Counselor
276.523.2400 ext. 438
To register online,
- Follow the Non-Credit Course Registration link.
- Complete the registration form.
- Under Course Registration -- Select Spring 2015
- Be sure to list Quick Start as the course title.
- Enter the March or May Quick Start option for Course Date
- Submit Form