The purpose of a consortium agreement is to allow Mountain Empire Community College students to take courses at another college and have those courses count toward their financial aid eligibility at MECC. All courses taken at another college MUST count toward your degree at MECC and be approved before any aid can be disbursed. Consortium agreements are done on a semester by semester basis for each student.
Sequential Steps in the Process
1. Decide which course(s) to take at the host school.
2. Complete the student information portion of the Consortium Form and list the courses you wish to take.
3. Meet with your advisor to ensure the courses will transfer and count toward your degree or certificate.
4. Send the form to the host school financial aid office for appropriate signatures. Follow up with the host school. Make sure the official at the host school certifies your enrollment as soon as possible after their add/drop period.
5. Check with MECC's Office of Financial Aid approximately two weeks after drop/add. We will process any aid increases after receiving the completed Consortium Form from the host school.
6. At the end of the semester, request official transcripts from the host school be sent to MECC.
PLEASE NOTE: Unfortunately, we do not have a way to send your aid to the host school. So, you are responsible for paying for the tuition and books at the host school from your own funds. Your aid will be disbursed at MECC and you can reimburse yourself from that aid if there are additional funds remaining once your MECC tuition/fees and book charges have been paid.
The table below lists the people involved in the Consortium Process and their responsibilities:
Initiates the process by downloading the Consortium Form
from the MECC Financial Aid website
Completes the form and ensures it gets to the host school
Follows up with host school
Pays for Tuition and Fees at the host school from personal funds
Requests official transcripts from the host school after the end of the semester.
| Host School
- Financial aid representative at host school processes the form AFTER end of drop period, with help from their Records Office if needed
- Sends form to MECC when processed
- Agrees not to process federal financial aid
- Reports any change in enrollment
- Records Office send official transcripts (at student request) to MECC at the end of the semester
| MECC Advisor
- Works with student to ensure host school classes with transfer and fit into unmet degree requirements
|MECC Financial Aid Staff
- Helps student and advisor with any questions about the process
- Provides Consortium Form
- Accepts completed Consortium Form (with all signatures) from host school and uses the information to adjust the enrollment status as necessary