Code of Ethics
Mountain Empire Community College’s core values include Honesty, Integrity, and Trust; therefore, all members of this academic community will act ethically, honorably, respectfully, and honestly. These values serve as a guide for the members of the MECC community when ethical issues arise.
- We are committed to learning environments that foster academic integrity.
- We will foster in all disciplines a mutual respect and openness for the freedom of responsible student thought, research, and discussion on all sides of academic issues to facilitate balanced and thorough academic analysis for all participants.
- We will be good stewards of our resources and make effective and efficient use of them, thereby ensuring accountability to the Commonwealth and to the communities we serve.
- We will maintain the confidentiality and security of information entrusted to us and share information only when authorized or required by law to do so.
- We will not accept any gift, favor, loan, service, business or professional opportunity from anyone knowing (or when it should be known) that it is offered in order to improperly influence the performance of our public duties. We will avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest.
- We will offer good faith and fair dealings to all those we serve and with each other. Our communications will be civil and professional.
- We will offer employment opportunities in accordance with State, Federal, and System policies supporting the rights and recognizing the needs of all citizens regardless of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
- We encourage and expect all members of the community to act in good faith and bring to the attention of the appropriate official any violation or potential violation of these principles.