Paralegal Studies [PDF]
Legal Office Assistant [PDF]
Paralegals provide specialized legal assisting knowledge and fundamental office technology skills in law firms, mortgage companies, banks, title insurance companies, and firms associated with the mining industry, private corporations, and government and administrative agencies.
Get Started with a Certificate
Graduates of MECC’s Paralegal Studies program receive an Associate in Applied Science degree. Students can now complete the program through distance learning. Individuals may begin their training in a one-year Legal Office career studies certificate program to gain basic office skills for entry-level positions, such as receptionists, keyboard operators, and file clerks.
Employers want Paralegals who:
- Understand legal terminology.
- Possess legal office skills.
- Demonstrate good organizational and analytical skills.
- Possess excellent reading comprehension skills
- Demonstrate effective time management skills
- Enjoy working with complex and detailed material.
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Possess excellent computer skills.
MECC’s Paralegal Studies program prepares students for certification examinations:
- Certified Paralegal
- Advanced Certified Paralegal
- PACE-Registered Paralegal (Paralegal Advanced Competency Exam)
MECC Paralegal students have the opportunity to gain on-site training through internships with local agencies.
Paralegal/Legal Assisting is a fairly new field of employment where job opportunities continue
- Over 100 work locations in southwestern Virginia
- Projected growth is 17.7 percent between 2002 and 2012.
The average entry-level salary in southwestern Virginia is $17,000. Salaries range from $24,000-$28,000 with experience.
Ashley Turner, a graduate of MECC’s Paralegal Studies program, is a paralegal for the Short Law Firm in Clintwood, Virginia.
You will find other MECC graduates at:
Commonwealth’s Attorney Office — Lee, Scott, and Wise Counties, Scott County Courthouse, Wise County Courthouse, Local attorneys’ offices, Regional title abstracting companies