Pre-Funeral Curriculum [PDF]
John Tyler Community College
Funeral Services students may earn general studies credits at MECC, while pursuing an Associate in Applied Science Degree through distance education courses offered by John Tyler Community College.
MECC Funeral Services graduates receive an Associate of Applied Science degree from JTCC and are required to take the National Board Examination for funeral services as administered by the International Conference of Funeral Service Examiners prior to graduation.
National Board Scores
The annual passage rate of first-time takers of the National Board Examination (NBE) for the most recent three-year period for this institution and all ABFSE accredited funeral service education programs are posted on the ABFSE website: www.abfse.org
Employers want entry-level funeral directors and embalmers who:
- perform technical skills such as embalming
- implement and direct all aspects of funeral arrangements
- demonstrate an understanding of how to write a pre-need contract
- set-up and maintain an OSHA approved preparation room
- understand the impact of modern day funeral service practitioners
- understand all aspects of funeral services including regulations of the Commonwealth of Virginia and the Federal Trade Commission
- understand all aspects of funeral services
- including preparations, restorative arts, cremation, at-need arrangements, pre-need arrangements, and providing funeral services
- understand the importance of the history
- of funeral services and the impact on modern society with encouragement to conduct research along with faculty
- understand the high standards of ethical conduct as set forth by the funeral services industry
Employment opportunities for funeral directors are expected to be good based on information provided by the Virginia Funeral Directors Association.
The Funeral Services Program at John Tyler Community College is accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE), 3432 Ashland Avenue, Suite U, St. Joseph, Missouri, 64506. ABFSE may be contacted at 816-233-3747 or www.abfse.org. The program is also approved and recognized by the Board of Funeral Directors and Embalmers of the Commonwealth of Virginia and is a member of the National Association of Colleges of Mortuary Science.
The median salary for funeral directors is $48,600 nationally.