Mountain Empire Community College

Dual Enrollment - College Courses for High School Students
Home Student & Parent FAQs Principal & Counselor FAQs Step-by-Step Guide
Dual Enrollment Application VA Instate Tuition Application

Dual Enrollment Coordinator John Bledsoe
276-523-2400, ext 307

All High School Dual-Enrollment students are required to fill out and submit the Official's Permission to Enroll form. Note that students taking classes at their high school campus do not need to fill this form out.
Official's Permission to Enroll

What is Dual Enrollment?

Dual Enrollment allows high-achieving students to meet the requirements for high school graduation while simultaneously earning college credit.

What are the advantages of dual enrollment?
You save money.  Dual Enrollment students pay no more than 20% of the cost of the college tuition and fees if they are students in one of the Lee, Scott, Wise, Dickenson, or City of Norton public schools.   
You save time.  Dual Enrollment classes can reduce the amount of time it takes to complete a college degree or certificate.
How you save money and time

What if my goal is to get a bachelor's degree at a four-year college or university?
MECC offers Dual Enrollment credit for college general education courses, which are required for all two-year and four-year degrees. These Dual Enrollment courses begin your Associate of Arts and Sciences degree at MECC or you can transfer directly to a four-year college or university. 
More information on Transfer Courses

What if my goal is to get a one-year certificate or two-year degree in a career technical field and then get a job?
MECC offers Dual Enrollment credit for career technical courses.  These Dual Enrollment courses begin your Certificate or Associate of Applied Sciences degree at MECC. 
More information on Career Technical Courses

What if I just want to take a course offered by MECC for personal interest or to acquire a skill?
Some of MECC's courses are not part of the Dual Enrollment program, but may be taken by high school students to gain a skill or for their personal interest.  These courses do not count towards high school course requirements. Students interested in these courses should contact their high school guidance office. 

Parent requests for information about attendance and academic progress
Under the federal Family Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the college will only disclose personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records to any third party with the student's written consent. This includes disclosure of information to the parent regardless of the student's age. Parents will be able to obtain information about attendance or academic progress if the student provides written permission.

Updated July 12, 2011                                      Contact MECC                                      MECC Home